37. To obtain sharply discounted rates for cruises, contact Cruises Only at 800/545-7447 or http://www.cruiseworldwide.com/, The Cruise Line, Inc. at 800/777-0707, GalaxSea Cruises at 800/923-SHIP or http://www.funcruises.com/, Spur-of-the-Moment Cruises at 800/343-1991, Cruise Value Center at 800/231-SHIP or http://www.cruisevalue.com/.
38. To enjoy the least-expensive cruises in travel today, contact Regal Cruises at 800/270-7245 or access http://www.regalcruises.com/.
39. For general information on every aspect of cruising, phone the Cruise Line International Association at 212/921-4711 or access http://www.cruising.org/.
40. To obtain U.S. hotel rooms at discounted rates, contact: Hotel Reservations Network at 800/964-6835 or http://www.hoteldiscount.com/; Quikbook at 800/789-9887 or http://www.quikbook.com/; Travelscape at 888/335-0101 or http://www.travelscape.com/.
41. For hotel discounters specializing in single-city locations, contact Central Reservations Service (800/548-3311) for Orlando or Miami, San Francisco Reservations (800/677-1500) for San Francisco, Las Vegas Travel (800/449-4698) for Las Vegas, and Express Reservations (800/356-1123) for Los Angeles and New York.
42. To obtain moderately priced apartments for stays of a week or longer in London or Rome, contact Barclay International Group at 800/845-6636 or 516/759-5100; for the same in Paris, call Chez Vous at 415/331-2535.
43. For discounted rates on hotel rooms in London, contact the Hotel Directory, Ltd., at 011-44-181/770-0123 or http://www.thehoteldirectory.co.uk/.
44. For discounted rates on hotel rooms in Paris, contact Hotels Marketing Services at 011-33-1/42-60-33-73 or http://www.hms-voyages.com/.
45. To secure an international youth hostel card (for travelers of all ages) entitling you to stay cheaply at rudimentary but usually adequate dormitory lodgings all over the world, contact Hostelling International-American Youth Hostels, 733 15th St. NW, Suite 840, Washington, D.C. 20005, 202/783-6161, http://www.hiayh.org/.
46. For low-cost B&Bs in New York City (primarily Manhattan), call Urban Ventures (212/594-5650, http://www.nyurbanventures.com/), A Hospitality Company (212/965-1102, http://www.hospitalitycompany.com/), City Lights Bed & Breakfast Ltd. (212/737-7049), Manhattan Lodgings (212/677-7616), or the Bed and Breakfast Bureau (212/645-4555).
47. To rent a French gîte (bungalow), contact The French Experience, Inc., 370 Lexington Ave., New York, NY 10017, 212/986-1115, or log on to http://www.gites-de-france.fr/.
48. To rent a motor home, contact Cruise America at 800/327-7799 or http://www.cruiseamerica.org/.
49. To enjoy an inexpensive volunteer vacation while keeping America's hiking trails well-maintained, contact Sierra Club Outing Department, 85 Second St., San Francisco, CA, 94105-3441, 415/977-5500, http://www.sierraclub.org/.
50. For the best-priced air-hotel packages to most of Central America, call Capricorn Leisure Corporation at 800/426-6544.
51. To obtain an International Student Identity Card or International Teacher Identity Card entitling you to significant discounts on museum and theater admissions, use of low-cost student restaurants, and other valuable student-related benefits (available to teachers, too), call Council Travel at 800/226-8624.
52. To obtain at least a 5 percent discount (and often more) on any travel product you purchase--air fare, cruise, car rental, tour package--call the nation's leading rebator, Pennsylvania Travel of Paoli, PA, at 877/251-2078.
53. For low-cost travel on passenger-carrying freighters, contact Freighter World Cruises at 800/531-7774, or TravLTips at 800/872-8584.
54. To make long-term car rentals in Europe at advantageous rates, contact Auto-France at 800/572-9655 or Renault Eurodrive at 800/221-1052.
55. For low-cost adventure tours throughout the world, contact Adventure Center, 1311 63rd St., Suite 200, Emeryville, CA 94608, 800/227-8747, http://www.adventurecenter.com/.
57. For people-to-people travel: free homestays with thousands of families in every major city in the world, contact Servas, 11 John St., Room 407, New York, NY 10038, 212/267-0252, http://www.usservas.org/.
58. For low-priced, high-quality walking- and special-interest tours primarily in Britain, contact HF Holidays, Imperial House, Edgware Rd., London, NW9 5AL, United Kingdom, 011-44-20/8905-9558, http://www.hfholidays.co.uk/.
59. For practically everything pertaining to student travel--from work abroad and study abroad to rail passes and discounted air fares (the last two apply to nonstudents, too), try Council Travel, 205 E. 42nd St., New York, NY 10017, 800/2-COUNCIL, http://www.counciltravel.com/.
60. For economical packages to Africa (including the best-priced African safaris), contact Magical Holidays, 501 Madison Ave., New York, NY 10022, 800/228-2208.
61. For information on travel opportunities for the handicapped, contact the Society for the Advancement of Travelers with Handicaps at 212/447-7284, http://www.sath.org/ or Access-Able Travel Source, P.O. Box 1796, Wheat Ridge, CO 80034, 303/232-2979, http://www.access-able.com/.
62. For moderately priced adventure tours on which disabled persons participate equally with able-bodied ones, call Wilderness Inquiry at 800/728-0719, http://www.wildernessinquiry.org/.
63. For information on worldwide adventures for women over 30, contact AdventureWomen, at 15033 Kelly Canyon Road, Bozeman, MT 59715, 800/804-8686 or 406/587-3883.
64. To find a travel companion for your next trip, contact Travel Companion Exchange, Box 833, Amityville, NY 11701-0833, 800/392-1256 or 631/454-0880.
To make comments, or for technical support, please click Talk to Us.
Arthur Frommer's Budget Travel is a trademark owned and operated by Newsweek Budget Travel, Inc.
Copyright © 2001 Newsweek Budget Travel, Inc.